The five-star Royal Taber Street Nursing and Rehabilitation Center has taken the “Royal Standard of Excellence” to another level with consistently excellent federal and state inspections over the past several years, and its designation as a “Best Nursing Home for 2012” in U.S. News and World Report’s annual survey.
Rich wood paneling and a classic staircase greets the visitor upon entering Royal Taber Street, built in 1912 as the private residence of George Cherry of the Cherry and Webb Company in the historic West End section of the city of New Bedford. Addressing a severe need among the elderly population, particularly on the South Coast, Royal Taber Street is offering the Diabetes Specialty Services program from the world-renowned Joslin Diabetes Center, with full access to Joslin’s vast resources and care model that has proven to be so effectuive in managing diabetes. In addition to complete nursing and rehabilitation services and individualized attention to all of our residents, Royal Taber Street is formalizing its Portuguese program as it transitions to a new model that promises extra attention to our Portuguese-speaking residents. The Royal Health Group’s motto has long been “Our Family Helping Your Family,” and residents of Portuguese, Brazilian and Cape Verdean descent are made to feel “at home” in every aspect of their experience. Like all the properties in the Royal Health Group, Royal Braintree is TJC (The Joint Commission, formerly JCAHO) accredited, recognized nationwide as a symbol of commitment and quality in the healthcare field, and given only to the best nursing centers in the country.
The Royal Advantage:
- 24/7 nursing care, attending physician
- Expert short-term rehabilitation (PT, OT, speech, pulmonary, post-acute)
- Diabetes Specialty Services – care and management expertise from the Joslin Diabetes Center, with full access to Joslin’s vast resources and proven care methodology
- Cultural immersion Portuguese program – catering to the Portuguese, Cape Verdean and Brazilian population of the South Coast in every aspect of their culture and daily life: language, activities, culture, and cuisine
- Cardiac Care program – utilizing the Zoe monitor, flagging congestive heart failure up to two weeks before symptoms
- Wound care physician on site weekly specializing in healing complex wounds, reducing hospitalizations
- Consulting cardiologist on site weekly
- Extended physician coverage with “Phone Doctor” remote telemedicine
- Respite, stroke recovery, palliative, long term care
- Hospice services from Fidelis Hospice, focusing on compassionate, dignified care for end stage patients
- Royal’s dining service features customized meal programs developed with personal attention from our chef and dietician – buffet and family-style dining available, with continental breakfast stations open 24/7
- Activity Enrichment – a nurturing, person-centered care model that addresses the resident’s medical, mental, spiritual, physical and social needs, promoting wellness and enhancing quality of life
Who would know better about the quality of care at a Royal skilled nursing facility than someone who works there? Michael Defrias is the Environmental Services Supervisor at Royal Taber Street, and when his mom needed rehabilitation following cardiac surgery, Michael knew exactly where he wanted her to be…
“I very much enjoyed my stay at Royal Taber Street recovering from my surgery. The nursing staff was extremely attentive to my needs, and the wonderful rehab department worked so nicely to help me achieve my goals. I will miss having my meals delivered to me, having my room cleaned and clothing washed on a daily basis, and getting to see my son every day was an added bonus! Thank you, Royal Taber Street!”
We love our residents, but Jackie Correia is extra special. She came to Taber Street in 2007, as her multiple sclerosis had left her unable to take care of herself. She is now paralyzed from the neck down, but remains alert, oriented, a delight to be around, and an inspiration to all with her amazing, positive attitude. Jackie loves her Taber family, and has many of the staff’s family photos in her room.
“I love them all…When I go to bed at night I pray for all of them because they are so good to me…they are my second family. What would I do if I didn’t have them? They make sure I wear my pearls every day, and my earrings…what’s a woman without jewelry? This is how I have always been, and they make sure my life continues the way it always has.”
-Jacqueline “Jackie” Correia
“Duane Pires (Senior C.N.A.) is a special person…he likes what he does and takes alot of pride in his job. He encourages the younger staff along. The first time I met him, I knew I had a friend in this place. He makes people feel more comfortable, and there are many more like him. Rosemary Raposa (Senior C.N.A.) is a particularly hard worker – every group needs one like her…she’s a shining star! I don’t want to leave out others, because everyone was always ready to put in extra time to care for me.”